Art and culture
Monuments
Palazzo Pennone
immagine Palazzo Pennone
Click here to zoom
This three storey rectangular building is curiously cut in two by a Gallery of the same name. The Palazzo corners, balusters and the masonry of the portals are in travertine stone. This building is known as the Palazzo Ridolfi-Farnese in memory of the cardinal governors of Lugnano. The name Pennone would seem to refer to the evocative image of the yard of a ship; as the highest point in Lugnano the palazzo soars majestically over the village. This palazzo was built around 1650, probably on the site of the old municipal building, Church of San Pietro and the Chancellery.

However, the origin of this name lies in the fact that the first owner or buyer of the Palazzo was Antonio Pennoni. Later, the property passed to the Pannicelli family, whose family crest in wrought iron is still to be seen above the well. Until the eighteenth century, the palazzo was the residence for the Governor of the Apostolic See, subsequently it was used as a granary, mill, and silkworm breeding centre until falling into total abandon and neglect. Having been recently restored it is now the town council building.

Featured
Dal 06/10 al 07/10
News
2019, January 02
Photogallery